Thursday, November 1, 2012

Meet One of Our Bakers, Tina Marie Russo-Kinney of Mudd Pie Girl Bakery!

Hey y’all! My name is Tina Marie Russo-Kinney and I am the Owner of Mudd Pie Girl Bakery located at 170 Ashley Avenue, Charleston (with our sister restaurant, Halo).


 1. What are your favorite ingredients to use? I love ingredients I’ve never used before, anything fresh, and anything LOCAL! I love going to the farmers’ market with chef Samantha Mogul (of Charleston) and seeing what’s there, and how I can use it in a new pastry or cupcake!


2. Celebrity chef you'd like to work with: This might sound a little off-the-wall because he doesn’t have a cooking (baking) show per say, (though I know the man can cook!) but Adam Richman would be my first choice!

I did once propose to Adam via Twitter. He hasn’t said no, AND he is following me (@MuddPieGirl) on Twitter. If you think about it though, he’s from Brooklyn and my family is from “da” Bronx, he’s Jewish and I’m Italian, he’s a Yankee fan and I’m a Red Sox fan….it’s a long shot, but the proposal is still out there!

If I could work with a local celebrity chef, it would have to be Sean Brock! I can’t cook well, but come on! It’s SEAN BROCK!


3. Cupcake you are best known for: I don’t know that people really know me for a specific cupcake, but rather for trying new things. I love it when people look at my cupcakes and say I’ve created something they never would have thought of putting together in a cupcake.


4. What was the first thing you've ever baked? Unlike most Italian American children, I didn’t learn to bake standing side by side in my great-grandmother’s kitchen as a child. Even though my great-great grandparents (one of whom I was blessed to know until I was in the 7th grade) came from Sicily with the “American Dream” to run a bakery, we never baked together. My mother did teach me the basics of baking, which both my sister and I learned at an early age.

The first thing I can remember baking is…Mudd Pie. As a child I used to sit under the willow tree in our back yard and make Mudd Pies for hours while telling stories to the neighborhood dog, Pokey. My parents looked out the window and said I would either be a baker like my great grandparents, or a writer (story teller). I grew up, wrote a book and opened a bakery. If I had just listened to my two year old self, I could have saved a lot of money in student loans trying to get into law school!


5. What do you look forward to at Cupcake Camp Charleston this year? This is my first year participating in Cupcake Camp. I’m not really sure what to expect! I hope to meet a lot of new people and try some different cupcakes from other bakers. Maybe it will inspire something new for me to try! I love the creative process of seeing an idea I never saw before, and figuring out how to turn it into my own creation.

Visit Tina and Mudd Pie Girl Bakery at 170 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC. For more information, check out www.MuddPieGirlBakery.com or contact MuddPieGirlBakery@gmail.com.

Find Mudd Pie Girl Bakery Products at these fine locations:
Halo (Downtown Charleston)
How Art Thou? Cafe (James Island)
Paisano's Pizza Grill (James Island)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors Needed

New Poster 2021

 New Poster is out! Thanks to Hazel Rider for her help!