Thursday, September 20, 2012

Meet one of our Judges, Allison Gallentine!

I got my start baking when I was nineteen and I applied for an assistant pastry position to work with Lauren Mitterer. She took me in and I learned so much from her. It was also an honor working with a James Beard nominee and now a local bakery owner. After about 2 1/2 years I went on to being the Pastry Chef for the Country Club of Charleston. After realizing that as beautiful as plated desserts could be I wanted to work in more of a bakery place that I could change product day to day. That takes us to where I am now at Caviar and Bananas

I am currently the Executive Pastry Chef at a well established gourmet specialty market in downtown Charleston called Caviar and Bananas. I make a variety of fresh baked product everyday including but not limited to breakfast pastries, cookies, cupcakes, cakes, brownies and tarts. Including normal day to day pastries I also help with catering events. One particular big event I worked on recently were some pastries and parfait wedding favors for Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively's wedding. On top of baking I also accept cake orders for friends and family out of my home. I also enter baking competitions. For example, the Cupcake Camp Charleston events, which I have been lucky enough to win a category in all three past events. I bake A LOT so good thing I enjoy what I do.


On a more personal note, I am married to my great husband of 2 years, Patrick.  When I am not baking I try to spend as much time possible with Pat, friends and family. Some of my favorite activities would have to be anything that involves being by the water whether it be swimming (beach or community pool), canoeing, or just sitting out by Shem Creek watchings the dolphins.


1. What is your favorite thing to bake for yourself? Cookies! I am a true cookie monster...whether it be peanut butter, chocolate butterscotch, apple oatmeal, chocolate chip, I love em' all! 

2. Least favorite thing to bake? Hmm... I really do not know. I bake such a variety of items I never get sick of one thing. 

3. Food Network has a lot of competitions. Which show would you like to appear on? Cupcake Wars or The Great Food Truck Race.

4. Other than baking, what other career would you like to try? Way back when I wanted to be a vet. I am a huge animal lover. 

5. Favorite baking tip that helps you in the kitchen: Be Patient! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors Needed

New Poster 2021

 New Poster is out! Thanks to Hazel Rider for her help!